[Bioperl-l] Bio::AlignIO ignores questionmarks?

Kai Müller kaimueller at uni-bonn.de
Fri Apr 14 00:38:00 UTC 2006

hi,

I'm very new to BioPerl and have a maybe silly question.
when using Bio::AlignIO to load a set of sequences, the questionmarks are
simply lost (they refer to missing characters as opposed to gap characters
[-] or ambiguity [N]). I thought that 'missing_char()' might help, but it
didn't (I probably used it the wrong way).

when $filename contains sequences with ????, the following snippet would
produce an alignment with ???? lost and downstream nucleotide just shifted
and the resulting length differnces filled by '---' @ 3' end:

my $aln_in = Bio::AlignIO->new(-file => "$filename", '-format' => 'fasta');
	my $aln = $aln_in->next_aln();
	$aln->gap_char('-');
	$aln->missing_char('?');

	my $testout = Bio::AlignIO->new(-fh => \*STDOUT , '-format' => 'clustalw');
	$testout->write_aln($aln);

Can somebody give me a hint here?

thanks and all the best,

Kai Müller