[Bioperl-l] Issue with Bio::SearchIO::psl (was: Bioperl bug 1977)

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 7 00:40:56 UTC 2006

I just committed a fix to Bio::SearchIO::psl.  It may take about 20
minutes from now to update on CVS. This seems to work with or w/o the
-w shebang flag on Mac OS X.

Let me know if you have more problems with it.

Chris

On Apr 6, 2006, at 3:19 AM, Albert Vernon Smith wrote:

> OK.  Neither you nor I put our shebang lines or the 'use' lines.
> I'm always putting -w on the shebang line out of habit, and trying
> to remove associated messages.  Makes things cleaner in the long
> run.  I had always thought that -w was the same as 'use warnings',
> but I've now learned it is not.  I don't get the message with 'use
> warnings', so we are on the same page now.
>
> Thanks,
> -albert
>

> On 6.4.2006, at 04:28, Chris Fields wrote:
>
>> As it turns out, the script you sent me back (the one which you
>> said was mine) gave me the answer.  It's the -w flag in the
>> shebang line.  You had modified modified my script a bit by adding
>> -w (I used 'use warnings' since -w gives a ton of debugging info
>> on Windows).  I see the error popping up now on Mac (I haven't
>> tried WinXP yet but will tomorrow).
>>
>> I'll give it a closer look tomorrow.  I don't think the fix you
>> suggested is the right one for now since it doesn't address the
>> real problem (the parser doesn't 'see' the end of the report), but
>> keep it in if it works for you.  Another workaround, w/o modifying
>> Bio::SearchIO::psl, is to do this:
>>
>> my $result = $parser->next_result;
>> while (my $hit = $result->next_hit) {
>> 	print $hit->name,"\n";
>> 	while (my $hsp = $hit->next_hsp) {
>> 		print "    ",$hsp->score,"\n";
>> 	}
>> }
>>
>> which calls next_report only once.  I don't get the error with this.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry