[Bioperl-l] RemoteBlast by Bio::Perl Through proxy

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Sun Sep 25 10:39:57 EDT 2005

If you look at the code for setting the proxy  in the module you see
that we are just delegating to the LWP::UserAgent object, so read the
documentation for LWP::UserAgent as that is where the proxy stuff is
handled.  There should be a way to do all of this via environment
variables as well - this is outlined in the LWP document, you may
have to add $blast->ua->env_proxy call to your code, I'm not sure.

sub proxy {
     my ($self,$protocol,$proxy) = @_;
     return undef if ( !defined $self->ua || !defined $protocol
                       || !defined $proxy );
     return $self->ua->proxy($protocol,$proxy);
}

On Sep 21, 2005, at 9:40 AM, Sachin Pundhir wrote:

> Hi
>  I have a problem regarding performing remote blast through
> RemoteBlast.pmmodule if Bioperl. I am getting the error
>  500 Can't connect to www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80
> <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/>(Bad hostname '
> www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov>')
>  I am not able to set the proxy setting, which i have done
> successfully to
> retrieve a sequence from the genbank.
>  It will be great help from your side.
>  waiting for ur timely help.