[Bioperl-l] Best method for downloading 100 sequences

Amir Karger akarger at CGR.Harvard.edu
Fri Sep 2 09:55:17 EDT 2005

Hi.

I'm using Bioperl's nice get_sequence in my Scriptome toolbox, to fetch a
single sequence. What would be the best method for downloading 100
sequences? Do I write a loop to call get_sequence N times? Will the various
websites get angry at me for doing that? Would they be less angry if I did a
1-second sleep after each download? I know NCBI has methods to pull in N
sequences, but I don't know whether Swiss et al. do too. I'm happy to use
other Bioperl code, rather than get_sequence. I just need to have a script
that people can cut and paste, where they just input the filename with
sequence IDs and the database to download from (sort of like
http://cgr.harvard.edu/cbg/scriptome/Tools/Fetch.html#fetch_a_sequence_from_
a_popular_internet_database__fetch_sequence_web_)

Thanks,

-Amir Karger