[Bioperl-l] biosql & bioperl-db on Solaris

Mike Muratet muratem at eng.uah.edu
Tue Nov 15 14:57:29 EST 2005

Greetings

This is not strictly a bioperl or biosql issue, but is related. In the
process of trying to install bioperl-db on a Solaris 9 system, I had to go
back and install the latest bioperl, DBI, AND DBD modules. The DBD install
via CPAN is failing for an ELF64 incompatibility when it tries to link to
the mysql client libs because I also installed the
latest 64bit mysql. According to the mysql docs, 64bit is 4% slower
than the 32bit version, but you get more threads and memory (which would
seem to be faster in the long run).

Although I have installed gcc and gnu make, CPAN is picking up the native
Sun compiler (and why do they spread things out over so many
subdirectories?) and linker.

Has anyone else come up against this before (I didn't find anything in the
archives)? Is the best course to install a 32bit mysql? Should I forgo
CPAN and try to do a manual install where I might have some control over
Makefile.PL? Has anybody tried biosql on a 64bit system and does it make a
difference?

Thanks

Mike