[Bioperl-l] working on new Bioperl website

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Wed Nov 9 14:37:54 EST 2005

I just wanted to make you aware that we are working on a new Bioperl
website and to solicit interested experts to help in the content

We are undertaking this to use some more modern technologies than
just vi for building HTML for a website.  We are moving towards using
a mixture or static pages, Wiki, and blogging software.

I am planning to announce the site in early December after a lot of
the content on the static pages is updated and moved to the new
wiki.  Ideally, I'd like to see a regular postings on the blog site
summarizing the mailing list traffic, and perhaps additional
summaries of major commits to the repository.  This would require
someone to volunteer for a shift at the blogging helm - I would like
to gauge the interest of whether or not a) summaries are useful b)
you (or someone you know) would be willing to help in the summaries.
Aaron Mackey did a few of these ages ago for the O'Reilly site, but I
know it took some time.  http://www.oreillynet.com/weblogs/author/1067

The static content on the current Bioperl page will be migrated (and
updated) to a Wiki site that can be more easily updated and commented
upon.  We're using the MediaWiki software that runs wikipedia.org.

We will continue to use bugzilla to track bugs, but maybe a tighter
integration of the bugs with the wiki so we can help keep a history
of how things are fixed and what is needed to be worked on.

If you are interested in volunteering to help with the content or
design of the new site, please get in touch and I can point you to
the prototype's URL.  Things are still preliminary and I'd like to
start with a well organized site at the beginning before asking for
everyone to contribute to it.  We'll announce the new site when
enough content has migrated that it can be useful and we can
transition all the static files from the old server to the new one.

The wiki doesn't quite solve the problem of a threaded discussion
about a problem and there has also been at least one request for a
bulletin-board/forum software like phpBB .  The idea of maintaining
and answering questions on a web forum AND a mailing list is not
appealing to me but perhaps it can be a useful way to organize the
FAQ capture other things that are hard to sort through on the mailing
list.  I think there ought to be some feedback from the community on
what you would like, but I also expect the decision will come down to
(like most of the open-source solutions) who is willing to do the
work.  In the end I do not expect the mailing list to go away, but
perhaps a subset of conversations may be held on the forum site.

Starting a BB/forum site is just an idea, if you have opinions,
please share them so we might make the most informed decision about
how to proceed with better documentation and efficient coordination
of software developers.

(Chris Dagdigian has been of course instrumental in getting the
initial software installed - proper kudos will go out when things are
officially announced).

-jason
--
Jason Stajich