[Bioperl-l] Bio::PopGen modules performance

Bingshan Li bli1 at bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Nov 4 18:35:15 EST 2005

Hi Jason and Albert,

Thanks for the quick response. Actually the data are gene-like
sequences so I decide to implement a C++ code or perl code myself for
calculating various statistics. I haven't touched C++ programming for
a long time. So I want to to try perl first and hope it works fine.
As Jason pointed out, I may only need to calculate pi value (by my
code, not Bioperl to increase speed) and pass it to XX_count()
functions. I believe that the performance issue is not the
calculation at all. It takes most of time to construct various
objects, and in most of the functions, various objects are accessed
to do the final calculation. I mean it takes a detour to get the
final destination. Bioperl is very useful and convenient for small
data set. But for larger data set, code must be optimized as
performance instead of reusability is more important.

Thanks and have a nice weekend! ;-)

--bs