[Bioperl-l] Refseq and Splice Variants

Peter J Stogios pstogios at uhnres.utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 14 14:54:35 EST 2005

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way of easily identifying Refseq sequences
that are splice variants of the same gene.  If a gene has multiple
splice products that are supported by experimental evidence, they get
their own Refseq identifier, but there is no explicit reference to the
underlying gene they came from (outside of the identifier line).

What I am trying to do is group sets of Refseq sequences in FASTA
format into sets of splice variants of the same gene.  Does anyone know
of a way, using Bioperl, that I can accomplish this?

Thanks,

~
Peter J Stogios
Ph.D. candidate, Privé Lab
Dept. of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto
Ontario Cancer Institute, Princess Margaret Hospital
e: pstogios at uhnres.utoronto.ca
w: http://xtal.uhnres.utoronto.ca/prive
p: (416) 946-4501x3280