[Bioperl-l] 1.6 release

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Mon Mar 14 10:13:27 EST 2005

[using this post to also advocate for volunteers even though you were
just trying to read on when your module changes needed to go in]

At least from my POV there isn't really a plan for a 1.6 release date.
I was hoping it could released before BOSC this summer.

We still need a release-master to do 1.6 and a lot of recently added
stuff needs to be cleaned up and re-tested before we will think about
doing a stable release.  I don't know when we will start a 1.6 branch
in preparation for the release.  I think this time around we will
branch and make the stable release off the branch instead of our normal
releasing off the main trunk.  This gives us the flexibility to prune
modules which are too new or add ports to support backwards
compatibility.

It was decided that the new Feature/Annotation stuff won't be part of
the stable release 1.6 but would be considered for 1.8 once it is
proved to be stable.  If backwards compatible patches can be made so
the API established in Bioperl 1.4 is still respected (and no
additional XML or Graph modules are needed for the core Feature and
Annotation objects to work) we can consider some compromises.   [Scott]
I realize that GMOD/Gbrowse has begun relying on this so a plan will
need to be discussed, outlining exactly what new functionality is
expected.

We will need a volunteer to be the release master/pumpkin and several
people to help in the testing and bug fixing prior to the release.

-jason
--
Jason Stajich
jason.stajich at duke.edu