[Bioperl-l] Entrez Gene ASN parsers

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Mar 12 19:33:24 EST 2005

I kind of like this approach, i.e., have a general purpose low-level
parser that you have reasonable confidence in will never be the
bottleneck, and then build a bioperl parser on top of it that now can
focus its code on assembling the desired data structure as opposed to
the file format itself.

And if course assembling that data structure will slow things down a
lot but hey, either you want an object hierarchy in (bio-)perl or you
don't.

Also, given the thread and previous ones, that ominous bioperl data
structure may be very fluid initially, or even result in different
top-level parsers depending on how compatible the different visions are
for what to get out of that parser.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org