[Bioperl-l] strange error after changing to RC1.5

Allen Day allenday at ucla.edu
Fri Mar 11 12:59:58 EST 2005

> What are these overloaded methods for?
> Who/What is calling ->ne()?

The SeqFeatureI class has been made, under the hood, to use the
Bio::AnnotationCollection for storing annotations.
Bio::AnnotationColleciton holds Bio::AnnotationI objects, not the simple
strings that were held in older SeqFeatureI implementing classes.  There
is still a lot of code in bioperl (and bioperl-db I take it) that wants to
treat the annotations as strings, so we add overloading to allow this to
happen.  No one is calling the eq() method direcly, it gets triggered when
someone does like this:

  if ( $obj1->dbxref eq $obj2->dbxref ) { }

It sounds like this might not be what is causing the problem for you, but
I thought you should be aware as you debug.

-Allen