[Bioperl-l] Request for advice and pointers on a project to h elp biologists d o simple formatting and analysis

Amir Karger akarger at CGR.Harvard.edu
Thu Mar 10 10:58:43 EST 2005

Malay wrote:
> Most of the
> biologists who come into this field already knows the tricks of the
> game,

Really? I haven't been in the field for very long, but I've already met
(smart, talented) people who are counting lines in Excel by hand, or merge
files and eliminate duplicates by hand. The worst part is, I suspect there
are things they give up doing just because they think it will be too much
work.

(By the way, I'm talking about *experimental* biologists who need to do work
on computers, not about computational biologists.)

> if not they hire someone who knows.

Yes, that's me. But I would much prefer to collaborate with someone on an
interesting research project that pushes the boundaries of using
computational biology to help experimental biology rather than write a Perl
one-liner to merge two gene lists for the 800th time. We have a lot of
clients, and if we just give them the solution, then we'll need to do it
again the next time they have a marginally different problem.  (In some
ways, you can think of the Scriptome as just a FAQ.)

-Amir