[Bioperl-l] Help on module for the analysis of sequence alignment

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jun 30 06:45:48 EDT 2005

Julio,

We do not have anything ready that would do it, but it should not be too
difficult it.

We have:

Bio::AlignIO::bl2seq, that can allows Bio::AlignIO to read bl2seq output
Bio::SimpleAlign,     is the structure that stores the alignment
                      it has a lot of methods
Bio::Variation::SeqDiff
Bio::Variation::DNAMutation
                      for storing the variation information

also,
Bio::Coordinate::Utils->from_align($aln)
                      that can be used to calculate sequence positions

Using these, it should be possible to do what you need.

Part of the problem is task specific and is best done in a script but some of
it could be put in a utility method into BioPerl:
- take an alignment as the first argument
- assume that first seq is the reference,
  allow to change that using second argument
- to simplify things, allow only pairwise alignments
- process the alignment and return a Bio::Variation::SeqDiff object holding
all detected Bio::Variation::DNA::Mutations

The script would take care of reading in the alignment and processing the
output for printing or for adding into the database.

Is this something you could write and give the method back to be included into
BioPerl?

Yours,
 -Heikki

P.S. You do know of the EMBOSS program diffseq, don't you?
     http://emboss.sourceforge.net/apps/diffseq.html