[Bioperl-l] NCBI Genbank ID to TaxonID via Bioperl?

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 10:27:36 EDT 2005

Bio::DB::Query::GenBank can be used to query GenBank, and Bio::DB::GenBank can be used to retrieve records.

After that it depends where the taxon id is stored - if it is stored in the feature table, as in:

                     /mol_type="mRNA"
                     /cultivar="Nipponbare"
                     /db_xref="taxon:39947"
                     /clone="R2345"
                     /dev_stage="seedling"

Then once you have the Bio::Seq object from Bio::DB::GenBank you can iterate through the feature table and look at each tag-value pair (using the "has_tag" and "each_tag_value" methods) to look for something like db_xref="taxon:39947"

HTH

Mick