[Bioperl-l] error installing bioperl-db

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Jul 26 16:20:07 EDT 2005

I fixed this. Should propagate to anonymous cvs within the next hours,
the new version of the module will be 1.3. I tested against an
PostgreSQL 8.0.3 server and all tests pass.

For the curious, the problem was that DBD::Pg binds all parameters as
type VARCHAR by default, and does use 'real' prepared statements by
default if the server is 8.x but not if it's 7.3.x. This is why the
problem only surfaces when using an 8.x server. The server apparently
doesn't like VARCHAR-type parameters bound to the SUBSTRING arguments,
so what I did was explicitly specify the type as integer to the
$sth->bind_param() call.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org