[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tree::Compatible, Bio::Tree::Draw::Cladogram

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 5 10:32:47 EDT 2005

Gabriel,

While testing bioperl module SYNOPSIS sections for runnability I found out
that there are two modules in bioperl-live that have external dependencies
that are not in Makefile.PL:

Bio::Tree::Compatible
  Testing compatibility of phylogenetic trees with nested taxa.
  depends on Set::Scalar

Bio::Tree::Draw::Cladogram
  Drawing phylogenetic trees in Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) format.
  depends on PostScript::TextBlock.pm

They both are yours.

I have not been that active on the mailing list lately, so I searched the list
for a discussion on these new modules. I started getting a bit alarmed that
there were none, no emails ever to the bioperl mailing list from you.
Finally, I checked the t (test) directory and there were no tests for these
modules.

Could we have that discussion now and hopefully at the end of the discussion
add the dependencies to the Makefile.PL? In a project this big, we have to
keep each others informed so that we can keep all parts of bioperl functional
and to avoid confusing and alienating users.

Where do these modules come from?
What functionality do they add?
Is the name space used correct?
Could we see test code that demonstrates the functionality?
Is there something else that you are planning to do?

Yours,

 -Heikki, who feels that he is probably overreacting ;-)
                 ... so do not take it personally

     _/  _/  _/  Heikki Lehvaslaiho    heikki at_ebi _ac _uk
  _/  _/  _/  Cambridge, CB10 1SD, United Kingdom