[Bioperl-l] Feature table comparison

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Tue Jan 18 06:17:56 EST 2005

Rob,

If you have files in EMBL format, you can use Bio::SeqIO to read them.
What is in the EMBL files--protein or DNA?  Are the features named in a
systematic manner (are the same genes called the same thing in both
strains if they are present)?  If they are, can you simply do an ID
matching between the two strains?  Judging from your email below,
probably not.

If the question you are asking is truly the opposite of an alignment,
then you will need to do more work.  This is beyond my usual
bioinformatics realm, but I would imagine that you would need to align
the two genomes first (and how you do this will greatly affect your
results, I would suppose) and then look for what didn't align in each
strain.  I'm sure others on the list have done this kind of thing
before.  I'm just not sure what the state-of-the-art is for
whole-genome alignments these days.

Sean