FW: [Bioperl-l] LocalBlast.pm running under Apache

Barry Moore bmoore at genetics.utah.edu
Wed Dec 14 12:37:28 EST 2005

 Marc-

 You are exactly right.  Thanks a million, you saved me hours of
 frustration.  I'm really going to have to sit down and read that Apache
 manual sitting on my desk - or at least open it and look at the index!
 Even though this isn't a bioperl problem, I'll detail it a bit here so
 that it will hopefully Google for others searching for a similar
answer.

 While setting up a local BLAST server with a web interface using
 Bio::Tool::Run::LocalBlast and Bio::SearchIO::Writer::HTMLResultWriter
 came across the problem that the same BLAST search would work correctly
 while running as non-CGI script, but would return "***** No hits found
 ******" if running as a CGI script.  The thing that was confusing me
was
 that I expected BLAST to crash if it wasn't seeing both BLASTDB and
 BLASTMAT correctly.  I had explicitly set the path to the database in
the
 call to Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast->new which was apparently
 allowing BLAST to run, but finally noticed in the apache error logs
that
 apache was 'Unable to open BLOSUM62'.  This is where Marc came to the
 rescue pointing out to me that even if I had set BLASTMAT and BLASTDB
for
 the apache user, I would have to add the following line to
httpd.conf...

 PassEnv BLASTMAT BLASTDB

 ...so that those environment variables would be passed to the script.