[Bioperl-l] SO for RNA-Binding Protein and RNA motifs

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 30 10:40:48 EDT 2005

Just had a few simple questions about sequence ontology.  What ontology
terms are being used for RNA-binding proteins (like IRE or TRAP) or
conserved regulatory RNA motifs such as riboswitches?  I was thinking about
using TF_binding_site for the former, but is this term mainly for
DNA-binding proteins?  I found a few terms for conserved elements in SO and
SOFA (like attenuators), but other conserved motifs (IRE, so on) seem to be
missing.

I am scanning bacterial genomes for conserved RNA motifs for a few
different RNA binding proteins and riboswitches and I would like to convert
this data over to GFF3 to map the positions of the hits to the genomes in
question.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry