[Bioperl-l] Newbie gbrowse help - script to make gff from fasta

Scott Cain cain at cshl.edu
Mon Aug 1 14:13:12 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 15:05 -0500, Jim Hu wrote:
> 1) Is there an existing script to convert a refseq fasta into a gff
> flatfile compatible with gbrowse 1.62?
>
>         bp_genbank2gff.pl --accession NC_001416  --stdout > lambda.gff
>
> requires some additional tweaking/parsing as far as I can tell.  I
> know that I'll probably eventually load these into mySQL (but for
> phage genomes, is it worth it?), but I wanted to learn via the
> flatfiles first.

I assume you mean genbank files, as there wouldn't be much to convert
from a fasta file.  Anyway, you should also try bp_genbank2gff3.pl.  Be
warned however, that converting genbank files to anything more stringent
like GFF3 is fiendishly difficult, and depending on the genbank file,
you may need to massage the output.

> 2) Is there a repository of standard track stanzas and aggregators
> that match the feature types generated by such scripts?

In the distribution are several example configuration files in
contrib/conf_files.

> 3) Is there a FAQ I missed that I should have consulted first?

No, but there is a tutorial that comes with GBrowse that covers lots of
useful material.  You can find it at
http://localhost/gbrowse/tutorial/tutorial.html

> 4) Is this even the right listserv for these questions?

Yes, and welcome!