[Bioperl-l] Installing BioPerl1.5/DBD/Gbrowse 1.6.2 on MacOSX 10.3.9

Sam Kalat sam.kalat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 08:43:52 EDT 2005

I recently started to move some of my bioinformatics work from a Linux
machine to a Mac.  I can't help you with gbrowse yet, but I might be
able to help with some of its prerequisites like GD.

I compiled GD from source, and found that in its initial state my
machine did not have the JPEG and PNG libraries.  I installed these
through fink, although in hindsight I would have probably done them by
hand.

My config.log reminds me that this is what I used for my configure
step with GD (libgd):

  $ ./configure --with-jpeg=/sw --disable-gif

The --with-jpeg directing to /sw is because that is the root folder
for fink, so YMMV.  I recall being very confused about some errors
relating to GIF.  I was never sure if the GIF libraries were missing
due to its patent nonsense or what, and I had not encountered that
error before on Linux or Solaris.  But the --disable-gif was enough
for me.  I can't say if I have the same errors as you, your compile
messages are encoded in some non-ascii format and I'm too lazy to
figure out how to convert it.

Subsequently when I installed the GD perl module under CPAN, I had to
use 'look GD' and run the make steps by hand, to tell it that libgd
had installed in /usr/local/lib rather than /usr/lib.  At least I
think that's what I did, all I actually wrote down was that I was
having problems with paths.

I also installed perl from source so that I could compile additional
modules that we need, that in turn require perl headers that don't
come by default with the mac.  YMMV there too, but it is something to
watch out for, and then you'll have two perls on your hands.

Good luck,
Sam Kalat