[Bioperl-l] Sorting BLAST Output

Andrew Walsh walsh at cenix-bioscience.com
Tue Apr 5 14:47:25 EDT 2005

Hello,

One 'easy' way to do this is to build an array of hashes with the hits
and whatever feature you are interested.  It's a pure perl
implementation. I don't think the API for the Bioperl search result
object supports the sorting you want to do, but I could be wrong.

my @hashes;
for my $hit (@your_hits) {
     my $len     = get_aln_len($hit);
     my $num_mis = get_num_mis($hit);
     push @hashes, { hit => $hit, len => $len, num_mis => $num_mis };
}

my @sorted = sort by_len_and_num_mis @hashes;

sub by_len_and_num_mis {
     $a->{len} <=> $b->{len} ||
     $a->{num_mis} <=> $b->{num_mis}
}

Andrew

Waibhav Tembe wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I was wondering if there is any easy way to "sort" the hits in a blast
> output based on something other than the default sort key E value/bits.
> For example, I would like to sort the hits based on the number of
> mismatches or length of the alignments reported.
>
> I considered blast2table utility. But I would like to retain all the
> details in the BLAST output.
>
> Thanks.

Andrew Walsh, M.Sc.
Bioinformatics Software Engineer