[Bioperl-l] Re: [SO-devel] GFF3 - Bioperl - SO

Steffen Grossmann grossman at molgen.mpg.de
Thu Oct 21 04:09:36 EDT 2004

Ok, ok, if you really want to convince me that Bio::FeatureIO::gff is
the technology of the future... (although I would also like to hear
Chris Mungall's opinion on this point...)

So let's get back to the technicalities.

There is something which prevents the use of
Bio::SeqFeature::Tools::IDHandler with Bio::FeatureIO::gff, namely the
extensive use of the tag/value annotation system in the former. On one
hand, this comes from repeated calls of Bio::SeqFeatureI's 'primary_id'
method, on the other hand there are calls of 'get_tagset_values'.

I am not completely sure, but I think that compliance of
Bio::SeqFeature::Tools::IDHandler with both concepts can be achieved by
two changes:

1) Bio::SeqFeatureI::primary_id and Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated have to
be made compatible. Just create a Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated object and
try to call 'primary_id' on it to see that it isn't at the moment. In
principle this can be done by storing the ID in the
AnnotationCollectionI object when the tag/value system is not present.
The problem is that the tag/value system is present in
Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated (it has to be, because it implements
Bio::SeqFeatureI), but it is not functional. Any suggestions?

2) Bio::SeqFeature::Tools::IDHandler can be made compatible with both
annotation systems by using the Bio::SeqFeature::AnnotationAdaptor
module. This should  not cause any problems...

Steffen

--
%            Steffen Grossmann                %