[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tools::SimpleAnalysisBase triggers Data::Dumper core dump on FreeBSD 4

Peter van Heusden pvh at egenetics.com
Mon Oct 25 07:40:16 EDT 2004

The run() method in Bio::Tools::SimpleAnalysisBase triggers a core dump
in perl 5.8.5 on FreeBSD 4-STABLE. The core dump is coming from the
usage of Data::Dumper's Dump method. Here's what run() looks like:

sub run {
    my ($self, $args) = @_;
    $self->_process_arguments ($args) if $args;

    # check input
    $self->throw("Need a sequence object as an input") unless $self->seq;
    $self->debug(Data::Dumper->Dump([$self],[$self]));

    # internal run()
    $self->_run;
    return $self;
}

The ->debug line is where the core dump happens, in the Dump() method.
I'm investigating further, since this presumably isn't Bioperl's fault,
but thought I should should just report this for now. I found this while
testing the t/Sopma.t test with BIOPERLDEBUG on.

Peter
P.S. the coredump goes away when I set Data::Dumper::Useperl to 1.