[Bioperl-l] Re: [SO-devel] GFF3 - Bioperl - SO

Allen Day allenday at ucla.edu
Mon Oct 18 04:03:35 EDT 2004

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Steffen Grossmann wrote:

> Ok, ok, if you really want to convince me that Bio::FeatureIO::gff is
> the technology of the future... (although I would also like to hear
> Chris Mungall's opinion on this point...)

I'd like to hear Chris weigh in as well.

> So let's get back to the technicalities.
>
> There is something which prevents the use of
> Bio::SeqFeature::Tools::IDHandler with Bio::FeatureIO::gff, namely the
> extensive use of the tag/value annotation system in the former. On one
> hand, this comes from repeated calls of Bio::SeqFeatureI's 'primary_id'
> method, on the other hand there are calls of 'get_tagset_values'.

We can map Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated::primary_id to something reasonable
in the AnnotationCollection, but my guess is that avoiding the tagset will
be more difficult.

I'd prefer not to add SeqFeatureI compliance as far as tagset methods go
-- one of the main reasons I added SeqFeature::Annotated was to get rid of
this "feature".  I haven't looked at the AnnotationAdaptor you mention
below, but it sounds like a reasonable approach.

Regarding your earlier mail about returning unflattened features, we can
do this pretty easily by implementing GFF3 '###' tag handling.  I don't
remember if I mentioned this before.

-Allen