[Bioperl-l] Re: [Bioclusters] BioPerl and memory handling

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Tue Nov 30 08:46:19 EST 2004

That's true - it does create a lot of objects for all the compnents of
the report.  When you have 2000 hits it needs to build quite a few
objects.  It does build them all for a single result.  Steve had a lazy
parser implementation in at one point, but that was more for speed when
you didn't want to actually see the HSP details for every hit.

I second Ian's comment that I use the tabular output from BLAST when
dealing with large datasets.  SearchIO is intended to give you access
to the entire data in the report, so there is an overhead in that.

There are a couple of workarounds depending on what kind of data you
want. We designed SearchIO to be a modular system which separates
parsing the data from instantiating objects by throwing events (like
SAX) and having a listener build objects from these events.  One can
instantiate a different listener which builds simpler objects or throws
away the data you don't want.  At some point I hope we can build some
light-weight Result/Hit/HSP objects and a listener which creates these
instead of full-fledged bioperl objects.  You can build your own
listener object - SearchResultEventBuilder and FastHitEventBuilder are
2 implementations and you can specify the type of Result/Hit/HSP
objects that are created by the listeners.  It might be easiest to
create some lightweight Hit and HSP objects and have
SearchResultEventBuilder create these instead of the default
full-fledged ones.  At some point though, if you are getting 5-10k hits
I don't think the parser is going to play nice as it wasn't really
engineered with this extreme case in mind.

Now the whole parser/listener design assumes that you want to process
all the data for a result before moving on to the next one - at least
from the listener's standpoint this means you have to store all the
data you just got from the parser - whether this is in memory, or
potentially stored in a tempfile/temp dbfile would be up to the
implementation.

Here is an example of how you can provide a different listener -
FastHitEventBuilder just throws away the HSPs and only builds Result
and Hit objects.

  use Bio::SearchIO;
  use Bio::SearchIO::FastHitEventBuilder;

   my $searchio = new Bio::SearchIO(-format => $format, -file => $file);

   $searchio->attach_EventHandler(new
Bio::SearchIO::FastHitEventBuilder);

   while( my $r = $searchio->next_result ) {
    while( my $h = $r->next_hit ) {
     # note that Hits will NOT have HSPs
    }
   }