[Bioperl-l] graphing trees

Guillaume Rousse rousse at ccr.jussieu.fr
Fri Nov 5 08:50:51 EST 2004

Sean Davis wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2004, at 7:53 AM, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>
>> Jason Stajich wrote:

>>> Bio::TreeIO::svggraph generates SVG.
>>
>> Seems the most interesting right now.
>>
>> Actually, I currently build my tree by first computing a distance
>> matrix from my raw data, passing it to the Algorithm-Cluster module,
>> and building nodes from its ouput. So the most logical way would be to
>> implement a new Bio::TreeIO::cluster module, constructing a Bio::Tree
>> object from this output, and using Bio::TreeIO::svggraph to output my
>> graph. Would such piece of code eventually interest bioperl maintainers ?
>>
>> Alternatively, if there was a way to construct the nodes list from the
>> matrix distance directly in BioPerl, so as to bypass
>> Algorithm-Cluster, I could also get interested. I am just effraid that
>> with a 3000 x 3000 matrix, a pure-perl implementation of the
>> clustering could have perfs issues.
>>

> Have you thought using R for the calculations/display?  If you have that
> much data, it might be worthwhile working with it in a computation
> environment.
Is R usable from a perl program, and not in interactive way only ? And
this would only be a replacement for Algorithm-Cluster, which works
quite well (it is a wrapper around a C library), that wouldn't get me
rid of the task of building the Bio::Tree Object manually. I was just
asking if a clustering algorithm was available from bioperl itself.