[Bioperl-l] graphing trees

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Wed Nov 3 11:57:02 EST 2004

On Nov 3, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have large trees to graph, the same way as phylogenetic trees are
> usually drawn, with edges length expressing distances between nodes.

Bio::TreeIO::svggraph generates SVG.

You can also look at the Stoltzfus NEXUS nexplot tool
http://camel5.umbi.umd.edu/camel/software/ which can produce postscript
versions of trees.

PHYLIP's drawtree and drawgram with the modules
Bio::Tools::Run::Phylo::Phylip::DrawTree and DrawGram.  This produces
postscript files.

> I had a quick look at BioPerl HowTos, but there was nothing about
> visual output in the Phylogenetic Tree HOWTO, and the Bio::Graphics
> HOWTO says nothing about trees.
>
> So, is there any way to easily draw such kind of visual tree, either
> in bioperl or outside ?
I assume you are asking about this for programatic soln?

Lots of tree drawing software for tree-at-a-time analysis like
TreeView, NJPlot, many more.

There is also treeplot (cmdline, can be scripted to produce a lot of
trees).

-jason