[Bioperl-l] RE: Integrating caBIOperl with BIOperl

Covitz, Peter (NIH/NCI) covitzp at mail.nih.gov
Tue Nov 2 15:13:51 EST 2004

Ewan,

I thought jump in and pick up this thread.  I understand and agree with your
point about needing a 'bridge' between caBIO classes and equivalent existing
bioperl classes.  Your suggestion on how to go about implementing such a
bridge was helpful, thanks.

Beyond that, I had been thinking that it might be useful to contribute the
entire caBIOperl module to bioperl and make it part of the bioperl core
package.  caBIOperl is really just an object-oriented query interface to
caBIO data servers, so I naively thought it might fit nicely under
Bio::DB::Query, perhaps Bio::DB::Query::caBIO ??

Of course people can use caBIOperl without it being part of bioperl.
However, there are a some classes and subject areas in caBIO that are not in
bioperl, so we thought it might be a useful extension to bioperl itself.  In
the next major caBIOperl release (~March 2005) we are going to include a
full implementation of the MAGE-OM microarray data standard as part of the
caBIOperl API, so that might be among the subject areas of interest to the
bioperl community.

I'd be interested to hear whether you and others think there might be value
in incorporating caBIOperl itself into bioperl, or if you'd rather just
consider incorporating the 'bridge' module.

Regards,

Peter Covitz