[Bioperl-l] Error when parsing MEME file

Stefan Kirov skirov at utk.edu
Thu May 6 09:07:59 EDT 2004

Weird.... It worked fine for me, including Amonida's example. Unless it
is a Windows vs Unix issue, since I wrote and tested the fix under
Windows. This reminds me of a good movie- "Kill Bill" :-). I should drop
Win stuff completely I guess.
Thanks Jason!
Stefan

Jason Stajich wrote:

>Something was still wrong with your fix stefan - I committed something
>which should work.  Do a CVS update Amonida and you should have thefix.
>
>As for whether or not Seqio can parse long IDs, it just takes whatever is
>after the > until the 1st space.  We don't try and interpret the ID and
>get accession out of the ncbi id lines by default - although there have
>been proposals on the list for doing this, I can't really remember if
>anyone solved it.  I just end up writing my own id parser if I need a
>particular thing out...  We solve it for the HitI object when parsing
>blast reports and setting accessions.
>
>-jason
>
>On Thu, 6 May 2004, skirov wrote:
>

>>Amonida,
>>Wow, you have an amazing amount of ids... I am sure it will be much better if
>>you can use a simple ID line like
>>

>>>X61109
>>>

>>someseq...
>>Of course I could change the parser... but I am not sure it is worth it.
>>Jason, forgive my ignorance, but current SeqIO will not parse fasta ID line
>>like this one:
>>

>>>ref|NW_047562.1|Rn1_2084
>>>

>>I guess it will be best if meme parser is in sync with SeqIO with respect to
>>IDs.
>>Stefan
>>

>>>===== Original Message From Amonida Zadissa <amonida at sanger.otago.ac.nz>
>>>

>>=====
>>

>>>Stefan and Jason,
>>>
>>>Thanks for your replies. I was using bioperl-1.4 but now I have
>>>bioperl-live installed. Nevertheless, the problem seems to be there
>>>but I get new warnings complainging about both strands now.
>>>
>>>Argument "-" isn't numeric in addition (+) at
>>>/opt/share/perl/5.8.3/Bio/LocatableSeq.pm line 167, <GEN0> line 699.
>>>Argument "+" isn't numeric in addition (+) at
>>>/opt/share/perl/5.8.3/Bio/Matrix/PSM/InstanceSite.pm line 106, <GEN0>
>>>line 700.
>>>
>>>Could this depend on my installation (which by the way went fine)?
>>>
>>>I'm attaching the MEME test file I have used.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help,

>>>--
>>>Amonida Zadissa
>>>Biochemistry Department
>>>Otago University
>>>Dunedin, New Zealand

>--
>Jason Stajich
>Duke University
>jason at cgt.mc.duke.edu

Stefan Kirov, Ph.D.
University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
1060 Commerce Park, Oak Ridge
TN 37830-8026
USA
tel +865 576 5120