[Bioperl-l] Bioperl 1.4 on Debian

D. Joe Anderson deejoe at iastate.edu
Tue Mar 30 19:24:44 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 11:06:12AM -0800, Josh Lauricha wrote:
> On Tue 03/09/04 10:46, Kutbuddin Doctor wrote:

> > I wish to go directly to bioperl 1.4 . I see my options as CPAN for 1.4
> > or the test debian package "bioperl 1.2.1-2". Our happy-go-lucky system
> > admin prefers debian packages :)

As well s/he should!  :-)

I've filed a wishlist bug against the Debian bioperl package, in hopes that
the Debian maintainer can find the time to get 1.4 in:

What would be especially sweet is if it makes it into sarge before it goes
stable.

> I've got an unofficial 1.4 package that I could make availible, but its
> not likely to ever get into debian (I'm not a maintainer) and when 1.4
> is in, its not likely to be structured like mine (which isn't really a
> big deal.)

In the meantime, I've been dabbling with the Debian dh-make-perl tool for
building those sysadmin-pleasing Debian packages from CPAN packages, which
attempts you can read more about here:

http://www.etrumeus.com/wiki/DebianBioinformatics#7204beef1acd1862531845cb0f7e3ca243126b45

Since these days I'm more sysadmin than heavy bioperl user, this is
about as far as I've gotten.  I don't really have the experience or suite of
personal scripts to evaluate it much further.

If someone running Debian stable wants to download that and give it a try
and let me know how well it works, that'd be great.  My next venture in this
vein will be to try making 1.4 with dh-make-perl on an updated sarge
(presently "unstable") box.

--
D. Joe Anderson, Asst. Sci.                    2252 Molecular Biology Bldg.
BBMB Research Computing Support