[Bioperl-l] Warning message terminates Stream_by_query?

JAMES IBEN jiben at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 2 16:50:57 EDT 2004

Hello list,

  I have written a program (my first) which takes a Genbank
query and retrieves sequences to pull out an intergenic region
that I would like to work with.  However, when running the
program I always at some point run into the following warning
message:

-------------------- WARNING ---------------------
MSG: Unbalanced quote in:
/locus_tag="SAV0358"
/codon_start=1
/transl_table=11
/product="putative cystathionine beta-lyase"
/protein_id="BAB56520.1"
/db_xref="GI:14246126"
/
translation="MTLSKETEVIFDWRRGVEYHSANPPLYDSSTFHQTSLG
GDVKYDYARSGNPNRELLEEKLARLEQGKFAFAFASGIAAISAVLLTFK
SGDHVILPDDVYGGTFRLTEQILNRFNIEFTTVDTTKLEQIEGAIQSNTK
LIYIETPSNPCFKITDIKAVSKIAEKHELLVAVDNTFMTPLGQSPLLLGAD
IVIHSATKFLSGHSDLINo further qualifiers will be added for this
feature

  With different querys, the message refers to some other
Genbank sequence (i.e. not always this particular entry).  The
problem is that once I have run into this message, the
seqence stream terminates, ending the program.
  I have checked these entries and see nothing apparantly
wrong with them (everything is bounded by quotes).  Can
anyone tell me what this error arises from and perhaps what I
can do to avoid it (or at least to skip any problematic
sequences without interrupting the stream)?
  The querys I have been sumitting should only pull about 250
sequences if they were not interrupted.  Is there some sort of
stream size limitation that I am hitting?  If there is a problem
with this approach is there a better solution for my particular
task than using Stream_by_query?

Thanks for your help,
James