[Bioperl-l] Bioperl support for AGAVE xml

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Mon Jul 19 13:47:02 EDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Simon K. Chan wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>

> > Yes, there's this stray sentence. "Several of these have been proposed and
> > bioperl has at least some support for three: GAME, BSML and AGAVE." I'm not
> > sure what was meant by the word "some" at that time but my guess would be
> > that 1.4 has no support for AGAVE.
>
> Ok, thanks for clearing that up.  Should we update that sentence then?
>
> > Would you like to see agave.pm put into
> > Bioperl? If your agave.pm is functional then this is just a matter of adding
> > it and writing a test script. What XML parser does it use?
>

> At the moment, I'm using regexps to parse the XML (similar to the tigr.pm
> module).  I noticed that game.pm uses XML::Parser::PerlSAX.  Should I use this
> one instead of the regexps?

I would argue we should be aiming to use XML::SAX in the future - it can
use various different modules including XML::Parser::PerlSAX as back-ends.

We should NOT be using XML::DOM anymore and it would be nice to change the
BSML parser over to using a SAX model at some point.  You can see an
example of XML::SAX in action in my Bio::SeqIO::tigrxml which is just in
CVS.