[Bioperl-l] bp_bulk_load_gff.pl speed

Dustin Cram dustin.cram at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:30:23 EDT 2004

Well, I think I've traced my problem to a bug in
Bio::DB::GFF->_split_gff2_group that only existed for a while in CVS.
I had assumed that release 1.4 was installed at our site, but it turns
out that it was a cvs for shortly after the 1.4 release.  The revision
of Bio::DB::GFF.pm with the problem is 1.105 (maybe others too).

It looks to me like $self->preferred_groups is being appended to with
("Sequence",Transcript") for every call of the method, so as time goes
by the array gets huge, with just those elements repeated over and
over.  That is why only my non-transcript features had problems - the
entire array was searched unsuccessfully for each feature.

I've grabbed the latest CVS and it seems to work fine.  Although I
haven't tried 1.4 release,  I think it should work too.  If this isn't
the problem for other folk, then I guess they're still just crazy :).

Thanks,

Dustin