[Bioperl-l] Batch Entrez with Bio::DB:GenBank or Bio::DB:GenPept

Lincoln Stein lstein at cshl.edu
Mon Jul 12 10:04:45 EDT 2004

Bio::DB::GenBank and Bio::DB::GenPept use the approved batch mode
retrieval.  There is, however, a caveat, which is that NCBI will
arbitrarily truncate the number of sequences you can retrieve at
periods of high load.  Recent CVS versions of bioperl will restart
the fetch if this happens, but I recommend that you limit your
requests to periods outside the 1-6 pm EST period of high activity.

Lincoln

On Monday 12 July 2004 12:27 am, Chris Fields wrote:
> Is there a way to use Batch Entrez via Bio::DB::GenBank or
> Bio::DB::GenPept, or does get_Stream_by_acc() or similar methods
> automatically retrieve in batch mode?  I want to retrieve
> ~1500-2000 protein sequences from GenBank, and I couldn't find a
> clear-cut way for specifically asking for a batch retrieval.  Or do
> you recommend using the Entrez web interface directly?
>
> Chris Fields
> Postdoctoral Reseacher - Dept. of Biochemistry
> Laboratory of Dr. Robert Switzer

Lincoln D. Stein
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
1 Bungtown Road