[Bioperl-l] Packaging BioPerl for mandrake linux

Aaron J. Mackey amackey at pcbi.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 9 19:14:01 EST 2004

> Installing
> /home/guillomovitch/rpm/tmp/perl-Bioperl-Ext-root/usr/lib/perl5/
> vendor_perl/5.8.2/Bio/Ext/Makefile.PL
> Installing
> /home/guillomovitch/rpm/tmp/perl-Bioperl-Ext-root/usr/lib/perl5/
> vendor_perl/5.8.2/Bio/Ext/Align/test.pl
> Installing
> /home/guillomovitch/rpm/tmp/perl-Bioperl-Ext-root/usr/lib/perl5/
> vendor_perl/5.8.2/Bio/Ext/Align/Align.pm
> etc...
> Seems the source dir is installed instead of build dir.
> I used
> perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=vendor
> for generating the makefile, and a rpm macro evaluating to
> make DESTDIR=/home/guillomovitch/rpm/tmp/perl-Bioperl-Ext-root install
> for installation

Hmm; I'm not extremely ExtUtils::MakeMaker-savvy, so I won't comment on
the can-of-worms phenomenon you're opening up by doing so; but it seems
like the "make install" you've generated has more problems than not
installing the loadable libraries (it definitely shouldn't be
installing Makefile.PL, for instance).  You should take this up with
the ExtUtils::MakeMaker folk.

> I thought native files had to get installed only
> under /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi?

There are a number of places to look; I believe the auto/ and .bundle
stuff is for AutoLoader, but I could (will?) be wrong.

> Just because one use Inline::C and not the other? I would like to split
> bioperl core first, there are tons of dependencies there :-)

That's not the worst of ideas; as a package manager you have every
right to do so.  We keep it all together under one CVS checkout, and so
we release it as one "package".  Good luck breaking it up, though ...

-Aaron