[Bioperl-l] SGD GFF3 file available soon

Stan Dong qdong at genome.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 18 17:09:27 EST 2004

Hi,

I am a programmer at Saccharomyces Genome Database ( SGD,
http://www.yeastgenome.org/ ). I am working on developing a flat file
in GFF3 format ( http://song.sourceforge.net/gff3-jan04.shtml ) to
represent sequence features of yeast genome and it will soon be
released on our ftp site. This is very useful because quite a few open
source softwares can take this file format as input such as Gbrowse,
Chado etc.

I would like comments from people who are interested in doing similar
things and those who have good/not-so-good experience on GFF3 to share
with. For me, it took a while to get the specification done especially
make the third column (type) fully compatible with Sequence Ontology
(SO). One thing I liked about GFF3 is the last column (attributes)
where you can put all kinds of useful information such as in our case
GO annotation and a nice description of a feature. An example file of
SGD GFF3 can be viewed here.

ftp://genome-ftp.stanford.edu/pub/people/curator/GFF3Example.txt

Thanks,

Stan Dong
Programmer, SGD