[Bioperl-l] Blast results question

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Feb 18 09:33:35 EST 2004

On 2/18/04 9:18 AM, "Jason Stajich" <jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu> wrote:

> You might want to try using est2genome/sim4/spidey/exonerate on the
> region where you have your multiple hits if you care about the splice
> sites/predicting a gene structure.  use the start & end methods from a
> Search::Hit object to get the min/max location of the hits in the hit
> sequence $hit->start('hit'),$hit->end('hit'), extract this seq, and run
> one of the EST->genome aligners.  Or are you just trying to locate this
> approximate region of the genome in the first place?

You guessed it with the last question.  To clarify, what I need to do is to
determine whether there is a "best" hit against the genome.  I am interested
in hits with just a couple of mismatches or fewer, but over the entire
length of the query sequence.  Therefore, I need to know when I have a query
hitting to a piece of genomic sequence where the only discontinuity is due
to a splice site.