[Bioperl-l] Bioperl in 2005

Paulo Almeida paulo.david at netvisao.pt
Thu Dec 30 06:41:24 EST 2004

I've been wanting to get more involved in BioPerl, but I need to learn
more about Perl first (namely, the object-oriented parts). I am
learning about packages and modules (just bought Mastering Perl for
Bioinformatics!), so it would be great to contribute to BioPerl, as
that would also help me learn more (which is also one of the good
things about Open Source).

I have been working on a Phylogenetic Profiler (basically, an automatic
scan of a number of species for the presence of orthologs of proteins
of interest, based on Blast E-values), and on a script that computes
the correlation between two protdist matrices, obtained from the
protein sequences of a number of species (the optimistic goal is to
infer protein co-evolution/interaction from good correlations). Could
something like this be interesting for BioPerl? Either way, I wouldn't
mind trying your specific suggestions too.

-Paulo