[Bioperl-l] Re: Questions about Bio::AlignIO::maf

Lee Ping Alison g0404203 at nus.edu.sg
Wed Dec 29 09:45:49 EST 2004

Hi,

Mr Day, thanks a lot for helping me with my queries.

I've just obtained the most recent bioperl-live code via cvs with the bug fixes you've mentioned. I'm wondering why the off-by-one bug fix (end = start+size-1) was necessary. I'm thinking that "end = start+size" is correct. Because the MAF file format by UCSC states that coordinates are half-open, zero-based. And I have understood it as the coordinates in "maf" module should be (start, end] (start exclusive, end inclusive). I've also tried several coordinates that agree with UCSC Genome Browser which uses [start, end]. Hence, in my opinion the bug fix was not necessary.

Will someone please enlighten me on this?

Thank you very much!

Alison.