[Bioperl-l] AnnotationCollectionI and SeqFeatureI changes

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Wed Dec 1 01:18:18 EST 2004

On Monday, November 29, 2004, at 01:22  PM, Chris Mungall wrote:

>> It would still require a working XML parser installation, no?
>
> yes - it would require some kind of third-party XML module or modules.
> guess this may be slightly problemmatic as these are currently all
> optional for bioperl, yep?

Yep.

To me, it's primarily an issue of cross-platform compatibility, unless
I'm mistaken and there are reasonable pure-perl XML parsers available.
In my admittedly cursory picture more or less all XML parsers (or those
of reasonable speed anyway, if the ones frequently used are any
indication) are based on the expat library. So far I've managed to
install those modules on all Linux and MacOSX platforms I've worked
with, sometimes with little and sometimes with a little more trouble,
but it remains to be seen whether this is an issue for Windows or not.

Anybody out there who can report on installing Expat and XML::Parser
and friends?

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org