[Bioperl-l] identifying objects in Bio::Graphics SVG

Todd Harris todd.harris at cshl.edu
Fri Aug 6 15:09:54 EDT 2004

Jonathon pretty much beat me to the answer.  GD::SVG is really just intended
as proxy for GD.pm to get SVG output from GD scripts.

It doesn't take advantage of much of the richness of SVG since these
elements reside outside the scope of GD.  That said, I have experimented
with minor things like adding descriptive IDs to SVG objects.

I'd be interested to see if boxes() will work with GD::SVG rendered panels.
I suspect it will choke - please let me know.  It shouldn't be too hard to
add this support which might allow greater SVG flexibility from
Bio::Graphics for the short term.

For the longer term, I'd rather see generic Bio::Graphics objects that
contain no format-specific graphic generation.  These would in turn use
Bio::Graphics::SVG, Bio::Graphics::Postscript, to draw/calculate the actual
primitives as necessary.  Given the duct-tape approach of GD::SVG,
overloading it to handle the additional options of SVG could get messy -
fast.  Duck and cover.

Todd