[Bioperl-l] Categorization of EST's by species/taxonomy/lineage

Paulo Almeida paulo.david at netvisao.pt
Thu Apr 29 18:08:36 EDT 2004

Perhaps a little far fetched, but what if you write a script that goes like:

Read sequence from flat file.
If it's from a new species,
    Blast against mRNA database AND species database
    Check hits until you get one with the full lineage
End if
Sort it based on the lineage

I'm suggesting that only based on what you said, about mRNA records
tending to have the full lineage, I have no idea if it would work. To
blast against mRNA for the desired species you would add something like:

$Bio::Tools::Run::RemoteBlast::HEADER{'ENTREZ_QUERY'} = '$species [ORGN] AND biomol_mrna [PROP]';

-Paulo Almeida