cloning and Storable Re: [Bioperl-l] bugs on branch; tests on main trunk

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at nildram.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 15:57:52 EDT 2003

I've removed the dependency for Storable. Storable is still used if it
is installed. Local code can clone everything except circular
references. If someone knows how to do it, I'd be happy to receive help.
Not having it here does not really matter because the the main use of
the clone method is to allow in-memory creation of a new enzyme based on
an existing one.

The clone code is written in very general way and should be able to deep
copy any in-memory objects. If you need to add a clone method your own
classes, copy from there. Ewan feels strongly that deep cloning is too
prone to errors to be a general property of bioperl objects, so better
not add this into Bio::Root::Root, although it would be handy.

	-Heikki