[Bioperl-l] 'Suspicious' headers

chris dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Oct 17 19:09:49 EDT 2003

For spam and virus reasons just about any email sent to our mailing
lists that _is not_ written in plain ASCII text will be caught and held
for moderation (one of our admin volunteers looks at the message and
makes an approve/discard decision).

These are the most common scenarios for people getting their messages
held up:

  o Email written in HTML (ie Outlook users)
  o Email with any sort of attachment
  o Any sort of MIME-encoded email, inline or attachment
  o Odd character encoding

We do quite a bit of behind the scenes mail filtering and we still can't
stop all of the spam from leaking through. Right now any incoming email
that has a spamassasin score of >= 8.0 is deleted pretty much instantly
at the server level.

Messages that pass that first step get to our Mailman mailing list
software which will also 'hold for moderation' any messages that have
odd encoding or attachment issues.

-Chris

Michael Muratet wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I sent an email to the list regarding modules in bioperl that would
> format data for phylip (other than simple file format changes) from a
> Windows machine and it bounced to the moderator for a 'suspicious
> header'. Can anyone tell me what was suspicious, so I can fix it?
>
> Regarding the original question: I'm trying to format data from a
> clustalw alignment for use in a phylogeny program. There must be a
> simple way to clip the ends of the sequences so they're all the same
> length, pick a region without gaps, etc., but I can't find it in the
> documentation. Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Office: 617-666-6454, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E Yahoo IM: craffi Web: http://bioteam.net