[Bioperl-l] new to the group. And a quick demo of SVG::GD

Todd Harris harris at cshl.org
Tue Nov 18 12:40:40 EST 2003

Hi Ronan -

Ha, great minds!, right This looks pretty good.  I've been working on a
similar module that works exactly the same and maps almost all functions
into SVG output (using your SVG module).  I've placed this in the GD
namespace as GD::SVG since that seems to more closely represent the intent
of the module.

You can check out a preliminary version of my module at
http://toddot.net/GD-SVG/GD-SVG.0.01.tgz

Docs:
http://toddot.net/GD-SVG/gd-svg.html

And some very preliminary test images based on Bio::Graphics and some
simple test scripts:
http://toddot.net/GD-SVG/test.png
http://toddot.net/GD-SVG/test.svg
http://toddot.net/GD-SVG/biographics-dynamic_glyphs.png
http://toddot.net/GD-SVG/biographics-dynamic_glyphs.svg
http://toddot.net/GD-SVG/biographics-lots.png
http://toddot.net/GD-SVG/biographics-lots.svg

These images are a little out-of-date.  I've fixed many of the formatting
discrepancies already.

I've already added support for GD::SVG into bioperl, so perhaps we should
coordinate our efforts on the GD::SVG (or SVG::GD module). In particualr,
there are a number of kludges that need to be implemented (regarding font
sizes, positions, etc) to correctly map GD<->SVG output (particularly in
regards to Bio::Graphics.

Thanks,

todd