[Bioperl-l] Understanding LocatableSeq

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 18:28:04 EST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Wes Barris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create an msf alignment of several LocatableSeq objects.
> I have tried setting the "start" and "end" attributes of each LocatableSeq
> object before adding it to the alignment but the resulting sequences are
> still not aligned in the SimpleAlign object.  What am I doing wrong?

SimpleAlign does not automagically do the alignment - you need to call out
to Bio::Tools::Clustalw or TCoffee or something else. SimpleAlign
*represents* alignments, doesn't make them.

(it would be cute if simple align did this magically but probably would
lead to some fascinating bug-hunts as simple align booted up a full
progressive alignment engine when a sequence was added. Hmmm. Wistful
thinking...)