[Bioperl-l] moving bioperl/biodas website and mailing lists to a new server; possible email delays this weekend

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu May 15 12:08:19 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

Bioperl and BioDAS websites and mailing lists will be moved to a new
O|B|F server starting this weekend. The new server is faster, has more
disk space and is easier to secure and maintain. In addition to our
usual anti-spam scanning we can also scan incoming emails for viral
payloads on this new system.

This _will not_ affect any of the CVS sourcecode servers -- both the
'real' and anonymous CVS repositories are staying put.

The website transition should be transparent as we can leave both
servers running while new DNS propagates.

Email will not be as easy. In order to preserve the accuracy of the
mailman list archives we are going to have to disable the email lists on
the "old" server right before we cut over to the new system.

The likely effect for some people is that their emails will be delayed
for a few hours as their ISP tries to deliver and re-deliver email to
the old system. The problem will fix itself over a period of 24 hours as
the new DNS MX entry for bioperl.org/biodas.org propagates through DNS.
This is well short of the usual 5-day limit that mailservers use when
trying to route email so no messages should get lost -- only delayed a bit.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam Inc. - Independent Bio-IT & Informatics consulting