[Bioperl-l] Summary about ontologies in bioperl

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Thu Mar 13 11:37:21 EST 2003

There is no document really yet. If you can make sense of module
documentations, check out the PODs of Bio::Ontology::Ontology and
Bio::Ontology::Term. These are the two basic implementations of their
respective interfaces (append an 'I' to find the interface) that a
client will usually have to deal with. If you're wondering how to get
an ontology into bioperl, check out the POD of Bio::OntologyIO.

Those documents are nowhere near complete and may not even be
comprehensible ... This is a very area in bioperl where the extent of
polishing is minimal yet, especially regarding documentation.

As usual, any takers to change this situation are highly welcome ...

If you have little idea what an ontology is, a good place to see and
explore a concrete one is probably the GO home
(http://www.geneontology.org/). In bioperl we will move towards relying
on SO (Sequence Ontology) or its SOFA subset. This is also a more or
less nascent project with I believe the main entry point so far being
http://song.sf.net/.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org