[Bioperl-l] cigar string in GenericHSP

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Mar 12 09:17:18 EST 2003

Just to warn people, there are now three flavours of cigar string out
there:

   guy slater's original cigar string

   arne stabenau's "ensembl" cigar string, which saves on the odd couple
of bytes here or there (considered a good thing as we were trying to save
space)

   guy now has the new "vulgar" string which can cope with more complex
state-path alignment combinations.

Juguang implemented the ensembl cigar string format. I am a bit worried
about which cigar string format GFF3 went for. Lincoln - do you know?
Despite the fact that Guy has first dibs as first-man-to-suggest-this, I'd
like to suggest we stick to Ensembl cigar strings.